Visions & Voices
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visions & Voices

A Private Forum To Discuss Film & Music

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Last Film Watched Thread.

Go down 
+10
sverrir90
Salmon of Doubt
Dr_Mulholland
Bartokz
estefanbe
Harry Lime
Jeebus
Ruse Of Metacarpi
Myron_Bolitar
Hunter
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Bartokz

Bartokz

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:07 am

Quote :
Apparently I'm the only one who thought Disturbia was completely average. Mainly cheap thrills are accompanied by NO comic relief, a cliché plot and uninspired characters. It was enjoyable nonetheless. 6/10

No, David, I'm with you, the film is completely average. Smile
Back to top Go down
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:16 am

Bartokz wrote:
Quote :
Apparently I'm the only one who thought Disturbia was completely average. Mainly cheap thrills are accompanied by NO comic relief, a cliché plot and uninspired characters. It was enjoyable nonetheless. 6/10

No, David, I'm with you, the film is completely average. Smile

Thank you! cheers
Back to top Go down
Myron_Bolitar

Myron_Bolitar

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 2:54 pm

No doubt Rear Window is a far superior movie. But I was still very entertained by Disturbia.
Back to top Go down
d_a_n

d_a_n

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 4:38 pm

/ver the last week:

Karhozat -9.5/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Karhozat-temessy

Woman in the Dunes -10/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Sjff_01_img0478

Yeah, High School can be a bitch. pale
Back to top Go down
estefanbe

estefanbe

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 5:25 pm

d_a_n wrote:
Yeah, High School can be a bitch. pale
And thankfully, I'm finally done with it. Now, it's onto the next step. Anyways,

The General - 8/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 General6

At the beginning of the film, I didn't care for it much, but then as I got more into it, I realised that it was more of an action/war film than a comedy. Sure, there are a couple of chuckles here and there, but it's the train chase sequences that make this a great film. Keaton gives a very good performance in the film and manages to show what an impressive acrobat he is. He's no Chaplin, but he sure is entertaining

Re-watch: Monsieur Verdoux - 8/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 18427465

Chaplin's darkest film, this is the type of work the Coen Brothers are renowned for making. It's a chilling, but funny affair featuring yet another fantastic performance from the great Charlie Chaplin. It's one of his lesser films, but it sure is a hoot.

Mystic Pizza - 5/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 9619

Innocent film that provides a couple of chuckles, but mostly doesn't work due to the lead actress' performances. Julia Roberts is her usual bland self and the other two leads aren't that good either. The film only really shows promise of something due to a couple of more colourful humour, but it's really too much of a chick flick for me to care. Vincent D'Onofrio is not bad in a supporting role, though, although he is a long way from Full Metal Jacket (his best performance, in my opinion).
Back to top Go down
http://films.estefanfilms.com/
sverrir90

sverrir90

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 7:01 pm

The Game - 9/10. All the twists work excellently, every single one completely changes the way the viewer perceives the whole scenario and after having watched this flick, I gotta say that I'm pretty drained.
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 8:42 pm

Gerry - 6.0/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Gerry

I think it's a very misunderstood film, but still not a very great one. Most people see it as just a bland story of two guys who get lost and try to find their way home. On the surface, sure that's safe to say. But the film delves much deeper than that. It's a story of two halves of one whole (no, I don't support the 'one person' theory that some people have) and the struggle between them. Damon's Gerry is the masculine and more mature of the two. Casey's Gerry is much more immature, whiny and feminine. Over the course of the film we see the affect that Casey's Gerry has on Damon's and it comes to a shocking conclusion in the shattering and unbearable to watch finale. Unfortunately, this genius takes an arduous amount of time to accomplish. We have to sit through ten to fifteen minute intervals of meaningless walking to get the slightest bit of conversation. It's a well-minded effort and the finale is pretty rewarding, but one can't help but be turned off by the insanely dull and sleep inducing tendencies of the first hour and forty minutes. I must also mention that the cinematography is some of the most impressive of the decade.

Miami Vice - 9.5/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 MiamiVice

Wow, what a surprisingly impressive work. It is a completely visceral and unbelievably engaging piece that I couldn't bear to turn my eyes away throughout the entire duration. No action/crime drama can possibly compare to this one in terms of it's brutal and unflinching realism. Everything is portrayed so beautifully and authentically that I couldn't help but be overwhelmingly impressed. A lot of this realism comes from camerawork that Mann uses which is some of the best of the decade. I can't see how someone would call it a flaw or less than sensational in any way. Even the gunshots and wounds increase the immense realism of the picture. Mann never lets up on his quest for the most authentic work, and it certainly shows in this. I hear a lot of people complain about the story being too complicated, but I didn't find it to be this way at all. Yes, it is very intricate and detailed but if you pay strict attention than it is quite easy to be completely up to date on everything that is happening. The performances are all fantastic and no one fails to impress, though Farrell's accent felt really out of place from time to time. Overall it was a film that I found to be incredibly engaging and beautifully done. The soundtrack added to the complete experience that it came to be, and really made the film feel slick and wonderfully stylish. I loved it. Easily one of the best of 2006.
Back to top Go down
http://jeebusrules.blogspot.com/
Myron_Bolitar

Myron_Bolitar

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 9:52 pm

Wow. I only saw an hour of Miami Vice (before a power outage interrupted it), and hated what I saw. I certainly want to give it another chance, now.
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 9:57 pm

I sincerely hope you do. The second half is a huge improvement on what I found to be a very impressive first. The action is amped up and the use of soundtrack really makes it a riveting experience. I know you're a huge Mann fan, as am I, and I hope you give it another shot since it's my second favorite of his and I think you'd love it as well.
Back to top Go down
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:01 pm

First off, look at this man:
Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Jamesdeanfp4

Secondly,

East of Eden (Elia Kazan, 1955): 10/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Dfdzh0

An absolutely brilliant film. I was pleasantly surprised at how flawless it was. The film is full of raw emotion and immense audacity. Dean gives an incredible, I mean INCREDIBLE performance. It’s easily one of my Top 10 of all-time. Fleet is quite wonderful also. She gave the second best performance of the film. The screenplay is rather admirable as well. In short, just everything about East of Eden screams excellence.

P.S.- Mitch, do you by any chance have the picture used in your signature on TDF at hand?
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:10 pm

A. James Dean is the hottest person to have ever lived. The things I would have done to him if he were alive and young.
B. You're brilliant. I couldn't be more pleased with you right now and I'm so so so so so glad that you loved it.
C. In that film, Jimmy delivers my favorite performance of all time.
D. Here's that pic you wanted: https://2img.net/h/i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/jeebus08/Eden2.jpg
Back to top Go down
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:16 pm

Jeebus wrote:
A. James Dean is the hottest person to have ever lived. The things I would have done to him if he were alive and young.
B. You're brilliant. I couldn't be more pleased with you right now and I'm so so so so so glad that you loved it.
C. In that film, Jimmy delivers my favorite performance of all time.
D. Here's that pic you wanted: https://2img.net/h/i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/jeebus08/Eden2.jpg

A. I completely agree. I would honestly turn my sexuality around for him.
B. Thank you and I'm glad that your glad that I liked it. If you know what I mean.
C. Well, I wasn't be specific enough in my last post. He would at the very least be in my top 4.
D. Thank you so much. I really love that picture.

Last edited by on 1/9/2007, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:21 pm

No problem, man. I'm here to help. If he were still alive, there would be no question of my sexuality. I wouldn't be heterosexual. I wouldn't be homosexual. I would be Deansexual.

http://www.movieposter.com/cgi-bin/mpw8/search.pl?pl=kb&ti=James+Dean&th=y&rs=12&sv=0&page=0

Check all of those out. I've had nine of those posters in my room for about a month now. That's all I have on my walls now.
Back to top Go down
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:25 pm

Jeebus wrote:
No problem, man. I'm here to help. If he were still alive, there would be no question of my sexuality. I wouldn't be heterosexual. I wouldn't be homosexual. I would be Deansexual.

http://www.movieposter.com/cgi-bin/mpw8/search.pl?pl=kb&ti=James+Dean&th=y&rs=12&sv=0&page=0

Check all of those out. I've had nine of those posters in my room for about a month now. That's all I have on my walls now.

Deansexual? I actually really like it. Quite a few of those are brilliant. I personally like the black and white photography the best, though. I would like to get at least one of those in my room in the next few months. As soon as can, I will get as much movie memoribilia and deanbilia as possible.

P.S.- I'm getting Rebel Without a Cause from the library soon.
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:29 pm

Deansexual = Sexually attracted to one James Dean and absolutely no one/thing else, be it male or female.

Yeah all of the stuff I have is black and white. It looks so much better/sexier.

I don't think you'll like Rebel as much as Eden, for some reason (most people don't seem to) but you should still love it. At least I hope you love it.
Back to top Go down
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:35 pm

Jeebus wrote:
Deansexual = Sexually attracted to one James Dean and absolutely no one/thing else, be it male or female.

Yeah all of the stuff I have is black and white. It looks so much better/sexier.

I don't think you'll like Rebel as much as Eden, for some reason (most people don't seem to) but you should still love it. At least I hope you love it.

haha. I kind of assumed that I wouldn't like it as much, but you never know. I highly doubt I'll hate it. Dean is just too brilliant not to make it good.

Last edited by on 2/9/2007, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Myron_Bolitar

Myron_Bolitar

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/9/2007, 11:41 pm

Rebel Without a Cause was an absolute masterpiece, and James Dean was dead sexy in it (as was Natalie Wood). Can't wait to see East of Eden.
Back to top Go down
Bartokz

Bartokz

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 12:10 am

Quote :
The Game - 9/10. All the twists work excellently, every single one completely changes the way the viewer perceives the whole scenario and after having watched this flick, I gotta say that I'm pretty drained.

Awesome, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only fan.
And as David said, "Rebel Without a Cause is an absolute masterpiece and I can't wait to see East of Eden".
Back to top Go down
Myron_Bolitar

Myron_Bolitar

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 2:26 am

Stranger Than Fiction (2007) 7/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Stranger-Than-Fiction_0

Very entertaining and it was cool to see a more subdued Will Ferell. He's very talented at more than his usual slap-stick routine. The rest of the cast (Maggie Gyellenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Tony Hale) is phenomenal as well. The film poses philosophical questions such as "are someone else in control of your life," "what would you do if you knew you were going to die soon," etc... This would have been a solid 10, but unfortunately, the end is completely bogus and a total cop out.

The Great Escape (1963) 10/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Mcqueen

A total classic, and endlessly entertaining. Takes place during World War II in a POW camp. It follows a number of British and American soldiers as they try and tunnel their way out. The cast is stellar, but is dominated by the highly charismatic Steve McQueen. This film is made all the more entertaining by it's highly witty script. It doesn't play up the tragedy of the situation, but rather inserts humor and heroism into it. It's a fairly lengthy movie, but I wasn't bored for a minute.

Hard Boiled (1992) 7.5/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Hardboiled

I'll start with the negatives. The dialogue loses a lot in translation. In fact, in translation, it's piss poor and is quite laughable. The plotline is anorexic as well. The positive is that the action scenes are some of the most explosive, wild, insane shit you'll ever see on film. The shoot-outs are relentless. Bullets fly everywhere and nearly everything explodes when the bullets hit. The blood splatters everywhere. You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire time.
Back to top Go down
estefanbe

estefanbe

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 6:59 am

Re-watch: The Italian Job - 7/10

Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Mwctminioverpass

An very enjoyable remake that's actually right on par with the original in terms of quality. Yet, it works tremendously well because it's not a copy of the 1969 film. The ensemble cast does a great job (Edward Norton and Seth Green are my favourites here) and the action scenes are very great to watch. Plus, it never runs too long. If there is one blind spot in the cast, it's Charlize Theron who isn't able to rise above her one-dimensional character. Plus, the addition of the Ukrainian gangsters doesn't add much to the film and sort of detracts from Wahlberg and Company. Nonetheless, this film is a fun action ride that while not necessarily Die Hard, it's still a film that can be watched numerous times.
Back to top Go down
http://films.estefanfilms.com/
Salmon of Doubt

Salmon of Doubt

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 7:30 am

Myron_Bolitar wrote:

Very entertaining and it was cool to see a more subdued Will Ferell. He's very talented at more than his usual slap-stick routine. The rest of the cast (Maggie Gyellenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Tony Hale) is phenomenal as well. The film poses philosophical questions such as "are someone else in control of your life," "what would you do if you knew you were going to die soon," etc... This would have been a solid 10, but unfortunately, the end is completely bogus and a total cop out.

Dustin Hoffman's character thought the exact same thing.

While maybe it would have been more poignant if (SPOILERS) Will Ferrell bit it, it did still manage to keep with Emma's character's tendencies to kill off her characters, since the watch had become a character.
Back to top Go down
sverrir90

sverrir90

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 9:42 am

Jeebus wrote:
Miami Vice - 9.5/10
The soundtrack added to the complete experience that it came to be, and really made the film feel slick and wonderfully stylish.

I completely disagree. With the exception of Numb/Encore (or whatever the song is called) I thought the music was very misplaced. I felt particularly that the Audioslave was off.
Back to top Go down
sverrir90

sverrir90

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 9:43 am

Myron_Bolitar wrote:
Wow. I only saw an hour of Miami Vice (before a power outage interrupted it), and hated what I saw. I certainly want to give it another chance, now.

You didn't miss too much. Watch Miami Vice the TV series instead.
Back to top Go down
sverrir90

sverrir90

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 9:52 am

Fargo - 9/10. Awesome dialogue, good music and several nicely shot scenes.

*SPOILER* The Stormare killing the two 'witnesses' scene and the Stormare killing Buscemi with an axe scene were particularly neat.
Back to top Go down
Jeebus

Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/9/2007, 11:39 am

David - Yeah the ending was a big disappointment in Stranger Than Fiction, but it was still an extremely pleasant and fun-to-watch film. Maggie Gyllenhaal was particulalry excellent. I need to start watching some McQueen films; they've always interested me. Have you seen Bullitt? Haha, Hard Boiled definitely seemed like something you'd enjoy.

Estefan - Glad to see that someone else likes The Italian Job remake. I found it to be immensely entertaining and I loved watching Norton in such a straight up villainous role. There was a lot of great humor as well that just made it a very fun, breezy film.

Sverrir - I liked the use of Audioslave, but I will admit that it felt misplaced from time to time. Most of my infatuation with the soundtrack comes from the cover of Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' at the end. I absolutely adored it. Wicked rating for Fargo, by the way. It's a long time favorite of mine and Stormare was 100% badass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Film Watched Thread.   Last Film Watched Thread. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last Film Watched Thread.
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next